James H. Tucker, Jr. is a principal with Manier & Herod practicing in workers’ compensation and civil litigation. Mr. Tucker graduated magna cum laude with a Bachelor of Science from Tennessee State University. He has also earned his Master of Divinity from the Vanderbilt Divinity School and his Juris Doctor from Vanderbilt University School of Law.
Mr. Tucker served as Law Clerk to the Honorable Irvin H. Kilcrease, Jr., former Chancellor with the Davidson County Chancery Court and as Law Clerk to the Honorable John T. Nixon, former Chief Judge of the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee. He has served as an Assistant Attorney General for the State of Tennessee.
Mr. Tucker was recently inducted as a Fellow of the College of Workers’ Compensation Lawyers having been determined to be one who has devoted a long and distinguished career to the practice of workers’ compensation law in accordance with the highest of ethical and professional standards. Martindale-Hubbell, one of the largest and most comprehensive source of lawyer ratings in the world, awarded Mr. Tucker the highest possible rating, which is an “AV Preeminent” rating. The “A” portion indicates the highest possible rating for legal ability, while the “V” portion indicates adherence to the highest standard of professional conduct.
Mr. Tucker drafted a significant part of the Tennessee Workers’ Compensation Reform Act of 2011. He is the co-author of the second and third editions of Tennessee Workers’ Compensation and served as Managing Editor for the fourth editions of the publication.
Mr. Tucker has served as a long-standing board member and President of the Tennessee Defense Lawyers Association. He is a member of the Defense Research Institute, having served as the DRI State Representative for the State of Tennessee and on the Workers’ Compensation, Membership, and DRI For Life Committees. Mr. Tucker is a member of the Mid-South Workers’ Compensation Association where he has served as President and a member of the Board of Directors. Mr. Tucker has also served as Vice-Chair to the Workers’ Compensation and Employers’ Liability Law Committee of the American Bar Association’s Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section.
Mr. Tucker is currently serving on the Board of Directors for the 100 Black Men of Middle Tennessee, having previously served as Board Chairman. Mr. Tucker has produced a number of seminars and events on workers’ compensation for various clientele including the Tennessee Self-Insurer’s Association. He is also a member of the Workers’ Compensation Institute and is an annual presenter at the Workers’ Compensation Educational Conference. He has served as a member of the Harry Phillips American Inns of Court. He is a member of the Napier-Looby, Nashville, Tennessee, American, and National Bar Associations. His current practice concentrates on workers’ compensation cases and insurance litigation throughout the State of Tennessee.
- Civil Litigation
- Workers’ Compensation
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Tennessee
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States of America
- Vanderbilt University Law School
- J.D., 1993
- Vanderbilt Divinity School
- M.Div., 1993
- Tennessee State University
- B.S., 1987
- Contributing Editor, The Journal (The Inaugural Publication of the Tennessee Defense Lawyers Association) (2015)
- Managing Editor, Tennessee Workers’ Compensation: The Essential Guide (4th ed., 2012).
- Principal Author, Tennessee Workers’ Compensation (3rd ed., 2007).
- Principal Author, Tennessee Workers’ Compensation (2nd ed., 2003).
- News & Upcoming Speaking Engagements:
- Speaker, August 12-14, 2019, 71st Annual Workers’ Compensation Educational Conference (Orlando, FL).
- Past Speaking Engagements & Seminars:
- Speaker, 2010-2018 Workers’ Compensation Institute’s Workers’ Compensation Educational Conference (Orlando, FL).
- Speaker, 2014 Tennessee Workers’ Compensation Educational Conference (Nashville, TN)
- Speaker, 2013 Tennessee Self-Insurers Association Conference (Nashville, TN)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section
- American Bar Association, 2016-2017 Vice-Chair to the Workers’ Compensation and Employers’ Liability Law Committee
- National Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Nashville Bar Association
- Napier-Looby Bar Association
- Tennessee Defense Lawyers Association, President, 2014-2015
- Tennessee Defense Lawyers Association, President-Elect, 2013-2014
- Tennessee Defense Lawyers Association, Secretary-Treasurer, 2012-2013
- Tennessee Defense Lawyers Association, Vice President, 2011-2012
- Harry Phillips American Inns of Court
- Defense Research Institute, DRI for Life Committee, 2013
- Defense Research Institute, State Representative, 2009-2011