John W. Barringer, Jr. is a principal with Manier & Herod, practicing in workers’ compensation defense. John is a graduate of the University of Mississippi where he received both his Bachelor of Arts (BA) in History and his Juris Doctor (JD). Prior to joining Manier & Herod, John served as Assistant District Attorney of the 21st Judicial District and Lead Prosecutor for the 21st Judicial District Drug and Violent Crime Task Force.
John is a Charter Member of the National
Association of Medicare Set Aside Professionals and serves on its
National Legislative Committee. Over the past decade, he has developed a
specialty in the new area of Medicare Set-Asides, a financial agreement
that allocates a portion of a workers’ compensation settlement to pay
for future medical services related to the workers’ compensation injury,
illness, or disease.
John is a member of the Workers’ Compensation Defense Institute (WCDI) and is an annual presenter at the Workers’ Compensation Educational Conference. As a member of the WCDI, John volunteers for Give Kids the World a non-profit organization that creates magical memories for children with life-threatening illnesses and their families.
John is a Past President of the Tennessee
Defense Lawyers Association and has also served as Vice President,
Secretary-Treasurer, and as a member of the Board of Directors. He is
also a member of the Tennessee Bar Association, the National Bar
Association, the American Bar Association (ABA), the ABA Tort Trial
& Insurance Practice Section, the Mid-South Workers’ Compensation
Association Nashville Chapter, and Tennessee Self-Insurers’ Association.
John will be featured in the Top Attorneys of North America 2018-19 Edition and the upcoming 2018 Top 100 Lawyers Magazine.
- Civil Litigation
- Workers’ Compensation
- University of Mississippi School of Law, Oxford, Mississippi
- University of Mississippi, University, Mississippi
- Principal Author, Tennessee Workers’ Compensation (5th ed., 2018 forthcoming)
- Principal Author, Tennessee Workers’ Compensation (4th ed., 2012)
- Principal Author, Tennessee Workers’ Compensation (3rd ed., 2007)
- Speaker, Workers’ Compensation Institute’s Workers’ Compensation Educational Conference, 2010 – 2012
- Panel Member, Louisiana Workers’ Compensation Educational Conference , 2012 – Present
- Tennessee Workers’ Compensation Law, ESIS, 2018 – Present
- Speaker, 70th Annual Workers’ Compensation Educational Conference, 2015 – Present
- Tennessee Workers’ Compensation Law, PMA claims adjusters, 2013 – Present
- Tennessee Workers’ Compensation Law, ESIS, 2014 – Present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Tennessee Defense Lawyers Association, President Emeritus, 2013 – 2014
- Tennessee Defense Lawyers Association, President, 2012 – 2013
- Nashville Bar Association, Member
- Tennessee Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- National Association of Medicare Set Aside Professionals, National Legislative Committee
- Mid-South Workers’ Compensation Association Nashville Chapter, Member
- Tennessee Self-Insurers’ Association, Member
- National Association of Medicare Set Aside Professionals, Charter Member