Michael Collins is a principal with Manier & Herod, practicing in
the areas of bankruptcy law, business recovery, trusteeships /
receiverships, surety law, and commercial litigation. Mr. Collins
brings to each engagement a unique blend of legal and financial advisory
expertise for the benefit of his clients. Mr. Collins is AV
Preeminent® rated by Martindale-Hubbell, meaning that Mr. Collins’ peers
rank him at the highest level of professional excellence in the
practice of law.
Mr. Collins’ legal background encompasses many different roles. He is a Certified Business Bankruptcy Law Specialist by the American Board of Certification. He is a former Assistant U.S. Trustee for the U.S. Department of Justice with over 20 years of litigation experience. Over the course of his career, he has regularly represented debtors, creditors, trustees, and receivers in federal and state courts throughout the United States, and internationally including many “mega” bankruptcy cases (e.g., WorldCom, K-Mart, F Genon Energy, Inc., ITT Tech, Inc., PES Holdings, LLC, Payless Holdings LLC, SunEdison, Inc., Peabody Energy Corporation, Isolux Corsan, and Abengoa, S.A).
Mr. Collins’ financial advisory background is extensive. He is a Certified Insolvency and Restructuring Advisor (CIRA) by the Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Advisors, and received the Kroll Zolfo Cooper / Randy Waits CIRA Bronze Medal for achieving the third highest score nationally on the CIRA examination for 2006. He was formerly a business recovery consultant for PricewaterhouseCoopers, LLP, providing bankruptcy-related financial advisory services to a diverse set of companies, including Federal Mogul Corporation and Enron Corporation.
Mr. Collins’ educational background includes a J.D. from Samford University and an M.B.A. in Finance from Vanderbilt University, graduating with honors in both curriculums. Mr. Collins also has a B.A. in Economics from the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Mr. Collins has been selected as a 2018 Mid-South Super Lawyer in the area of bankruptcy.
Mr. Collins has been appointed chapter 11 trustee and receiver for numerous operating businesses with exceptional results. His trustee and receivership engagements include Sabre Defence Industries, LLC (gun manufacturer), Advocacy & Resources Corporation (food manufacturing & packaging), Tri Star Aluminum, LP (aluminum processing), Bill Mace Homes (construction), Direct Scaffold Services, Inc. (sales and leasing), Alliance Leasing Corporation (vehicle leasing and sales), United Shows of America, Inc. (carnival entertainment and event facilities) and Living Hope Southeast, LLC (behavioral health services), Stop Alarms Holdings, Inc. (security services provider).
Mr. Collins is an active member of the Nashville community. He is a Past President of both the Mid-South Commercial Law Institute and the Sertoma Club of Nashville. He is a former Chairman of the Bankruptcy Court Section of the Tennessee Bar Association. He is active in the Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Advisors, the Turnaround Management Association, and the American Bankruptcy Institute.
- Bankruptcy and Creditors’ Rights
- Surety Law
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court Western District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Tennessee
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- Cumberland School of Law, Samford University, Birmingham, Alabama
- J.D., magna cum laude, 1993
- Vanderbilt University, Owen Graduate School of Management , Nashville, Tennessee
- M.B.A., beta gamma sigma, 1993
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee
- B.A., 1989
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyer – Bankruptcy , 2015 – Present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Nashville Bar Association, Past Chair, Bankruptcy Section
- Mid-South Commercial Law Institute, Past President
- Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Advisors
- Turnaround Management Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Bankruptcy Court Section of the Tennessee Bar Association, Former Chairman
Past Employment Positions
- U.S. Department of Justice, Assistant U.S. Trustee
- PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP, Financial Restructuring Consultant