Sam H. Poteet, Jr. is a principal with Manier & Herod, practicing in the areas of surety law, financial institution bonds, fidelity law, D&O and E&O insurance, taxation, estate and business law. Mr. Poteet received his Bachelor of Science from Tennessee Technological University in 1979 and his Juris Doctor from the University of Tennessee College of Law in 1982. Mr. Poteet has been a Certified Public Accountant since 1986. He is a Nashville Bar Foundation Fellow.
Mr. Poteet is a frequent speaker at the American Bar Association, Fidelity Law Association, and Southern Surety & Fidelity Claims Association meetings. Mr. Poteet was the Chair of the American Bar Association Tort, Trial & Insurance Practice Section’s Fidelity & Surety Law Committee in 2011. Mr. Poteet has handled surety claims and workouts/bankruptcies for numerous sureties. He also handles fidelity and financial institution bond claims. In addition, Mr. Poteet has represented clients in numerous purchase and sale transactions of business. Mr. Poteet also handles estate tax planning for large estates, most of which have involved closely-held businesses.
Mr. Poteet was the 2017 Chair of the American Bar Association’s Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section (TIPS) and also served as a Council Member and Officer.
- Commercial and Professional Liability Insurance Coverage
- Construction Law
- Estate Planning and Probate
- Fidelity Law and Cyber Insurance Coverage
- Surety Law
- Tax and Business Succession Planning
- Tax, Business and Commercial
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court Western District of Tennessee
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- University of Tennessee College of Law
- J.D., 1982
- Tennessee Technological University
- B.S., 1979
Honors and Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 2016 – Present
- Entitlement to Contract Funds Among Surety, Lender, Contractor and the IRS, Construction Lawyers, November, 1989
- Contributor, Annotated Financial Institution Bond (American Bar Association, 3rd ed.).
- Co-Author, What Happens When the Insured Fails? Analyzing the Impact on Coverage Under the Financial Institution Bond and the Commercial Crime Policy (Fidelity Law Association Annual Meeting 2009).
- Co-Author, Rights Under the Indemnity Agreement to Minimize Loss (American Bar Association Spring Surety Meeting, 2009).
- Co-Author, Loan Loss Coverage Under Financial Institution Bonds (American Bar Association Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Annual Meeting, 2008).
- Co-Author, A Three-Way Street: The Perspective of the Underwriter, Broker and Claims Representative (19th Annual Southern Surety & Fidelity Claims Conference, 2008).
- Co-Author, Maximizing the Effectiveness of Your Performance Bond (Owners Association of America, Inc. Owners Leadership Conference, 2004).
- Co-Author, U.S. Insolvency Law and Intersection with Surety Bonds and Trade Credit Insurance (International Credit Insurance and Surety Association, 2004).
- Co-Author, The ABC’s of the Surety Claims Process (The Educational and Memorial Foundation of the Tennessee Society of Certified Public Accountants Construction Conference, 2004).
- Author, Contractor Claims and Bankruptcy (National Association of Surety Bond Professionals Region 3 Annual Meeting, 2002).
- Author, The Investigation and Handling of Large Surety Claims (International Association of Defense Counsel Summer Program, 2001).
- Author, Bad Faith and Unfair Claims – Handling Practice Issues (Fidelity Law Association Annual Meeting, 2001).
- Speaker – Handling Surety Claims in a Global Economy, American Bar Association, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section, Fidelity and Surety Law Committee’s Mid-Winter Meeting
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Fidelity & Surety Law Committee (Former Chair and Vice-Chair)
- National Bond Claims Association
- Surety Claims Institute
- Southern Surety & Fidelity Association
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Tennessee Society of Certified Public Accountants