Scott C. WilliamsShareholder
- Nashville, Tennessee
Scott C. Williams is a shareholder with Manier & Herod. Mr. Williams practices in the areas of bankruptcy/insolvency, business, corporate, real estate, surety, and trusts/estates. Mr. Williams handles business acquisition and sale transactions, real estate sale and lease transactions, as well as financing and collateralization transactions for individuals, businesses, lenders, trusts and sureties.
Mr. Williams represents sureties in distressed contractor/account transactions and workouts, inter-creditor transactions, surety credit facilities, bankruptcy and insolvency proceedings, co-surety transactions, and in connection with bond claims (payment, performance, commercial) and indemnity matters both domestically and internationally. Mr. Williams has represented sureties in virtually every aspect of surety law and in relation to disputes, bankruptcies and insolvency matters arising in a number of states, including Alabama, Arizona, California, Delaware, Florida, Kansas, Kentucky, Illinois, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and Wisconsin. Mr. Williams’ international surety experience includes work on surety matters in Brazil and Canada, and in insolvency proceedings in Spain.
Mr. Williams is licensed to practice in Tennessee, Missouri, and Virginia, and is admitted to all State and Federal Courts in those states.
Mr. Williams is a member of the Fidelity & Surety Law Committee of the Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section of the American Bar Association, and serves as a Vice Chair of its Underwriting and Risk Management Law Division. Along with industry colleague Gina Lockwood, Mr. Williams co-founded Surety School for new surety professionals, and Surety News, a program designed to promote the surety profession, its members, and events.
Mr. Williams received his B.A. in International Studies in 1995 from Rhodes College in Memphis, Tennessee. Mr. Williams received his J.D., magna cum laude, in 2001, from the Cumberland School of Law at Samford University, where he was selected for membership in Curia Honor Society.
- Tennessee, 2001
- Missouri, 2013
- Virginia, 2020
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court Western District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court Western District of Virginia
- Cumberland School of Law, Samford University, Birmingham, Alabama
- Rhodes College, Memphis, Tennessee
- Co-Presenter, Surety News On Your Side: Is This Really a Payment Bond Claimant? Surety News presents an investigative report on payment bond claims from the most unexpected sources and gives you the tools you need to respond (ABA TIPS Fidelity & Surety Law Committee Spring Conference, 2023).
- Co-Presenter, Collateral: Anchoring the Boat, Strategies and Practical Advice for Enforcing Collateral Demands, and Perfecting Interests in Collateral (ABA TIPS Fidelity & Surety Law Committee Mid-Winter Conference, 2023).
- Co-Author and Speaker, Contractor Assessment and Protecting Bonded Working Assets (National Bond Claims Association Annual Meeting, 2022).
- Co-Editor, Chapter IV: Liability of the Principal and Indemnitors to Indemnify and Reimburse the Surety, THE SURETY’S INDEMNITY AGREEMENT: LAW AND PRACTICE, 3rd (Mike F. Pipkins, et al., eds., 2022).
- Co-Author and Editor, Chapter 15: Judicial Bonds, THE LAW OF COMMERCIAL SURETY AND MISCELLANEOUS BONDS, 3rd (Samuel J. Arena, Jr., et al., eds., 2022).
- Co-Author and Co-Presenter, Ethical Implications Arising from Surety Representations (33rd Annual Southern Surety & Fidelity Claims Conference, 2022).
- Co-Author, Demystifying Chapter 11: Some Pointers for Vigilantly Protecting the Surety (Surety Claims Institute 44th Annual Meeting, 2019).
- Co-Author with Mary Paty Lynn LeVan, Project Capital and Financing Structure and its Impact on Project Completion (ABA TIPS Fidelity & Surety Law Committee Spring Conference, 2019).
- Author, The Taxing Authority’s Claim to Contract Balances and Claims Against the Bonds (30th Annual Southern Surety & Fidelity Claims Conference, 2019).
- Author, Chapter 11 Bankruptcies: Differences in Procedure and Strategy (29th Annual Southern Surety & Fidelity Claims Conference, 2018).
- Author, Variations on the Theme of Takeover (ABA Fidelity & Surety Law Committee Spring Conference, 2016).
- Co-Author with Mary LeVan, Practice Pointer: Equipment and Facilities Utilization under the Indemnity Agreement (ABA TIPS Fidelity & Surety Law Committee Spring Newsletter, 2014).
- Contributor, Chapter III: Documents and Agreements Related to the Indemnity Agreement, 2 THE LAW OF COMMERCIAL SURETY AND MISCELLANEOUS BONDS, 2nd ed. (Marilyn Klinger, et al., eds., 2008).
- Faculty Member, Surety School (2023).
- Co-Founder and Faculty Member, Surety School, Claim and Client Communication (2022).
- Vlog, Contractor Stress Test, Protecting the Surety During the COVID-19 Pandemic, Contractor Evaluation and Protecting Bonded Working Assets (2020).
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Nashville Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section (TIPS)
- Fidelity & Surety Law Committee (FSLC)
- Surety Claims Institute